I have always thought a pineapple upside down cake was one of the most intricate things to bake, but it turns out, it not! Its really easy and I will show you how. If your not a pineapple lover then you can easily switch out the pineapples for a fruit of your choice.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar- 1 tin sliced pineapple- 1 cup self raising flour- 1 teaspoon baking powder- 1/8 teaspoon salt- 3 eggs, separated- 1 cup granulated sugar- 5 tablespoons pineapple juice- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- add 1/2 cup of butter to 9-inch baking dish, and place inside a warm oven until melted (about 5 minutes)
- Remove from oven, and sprinkle brown sugar evenly over the butter
- Add pineapple slices to the top of the butter/sugar and set aside for later
- In a medium bowl, combine sifted flour, baking powder and salt, and stir
- Using a hand mixer, in a metal or glass bowl, beat egg whites at high speed until fluffy. Then set aside for later
- In a separate bowl beat egg yolks with sugar at medium speed until creamy
- Add 5 tablespoons of pineapple juice, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and beat well
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, and beat until well combined
- Fold in the egg whites with a rubber spatula
- Pour cake mixture evenly over the fruit, and smooth with the spatula
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until cake is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Place on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes
- Run a blunt knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake. Invert carefully onto a plate.
This can be enjoyed on its own or with ice cream and is best served warm and fresh out of the oven.
Step by step video:
Thanks for reading,