Scones Have always been a typical english lunchtime food, and being english myself and living in England, I thought it was about time I gave them a go.
- 2 cups of self raising flour
- 55g cold butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 150ml or 1/4 pink milk
- 1 egg beaten with a little milk
- dried mixed fruit (optional)
- heat oven to 400 degree F / 205 degree C / gas mark 6
- grease and flour a baking dish
- sieve flour in a bowl, then add cold butter, baking powder, salt and optional fruit.
- quickly rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs (USE COLD HANDS FOR BEST RESULTS)
- making a well in the centre and using a butter knife stir in enough milk to make a soft pliable dough
- turn mixture onto a floured surface a kneed lightly until smooth
- roll out 2cm thick
- cut into rounds
- place on a baking tray and brush with the egg/milk mixture
- bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown
- cool on a wire rack- serve with jam or a filling of your choice.
Step by step video:
Thanks for reading