30 Oct 2013

Technology 10 Years Ago...

I am nearly 21 and recently been thinking about my childhood, its scary to think how much the world has changed since I was 10 years old.

Firstly I didn't have a computer, not even a shared house computer. The closest computer was at school or my local library and even then, it was pretty much a word processor and the art game 'dazzle' that I used it for. Im not sure if google was even around then, but I certainly had never used it, The internet was not a 'thing' I was fully aware of. There was no youtube, or facebook, no twitter or blog sites, social media was not a major factor in society.

Secondly There was no flat screen LCD 3D TV systems, no way, nor was there 3 or 4 TVs per household, I remember growing up we had 1 TV in the living room, a big black bulky box with video player underneath. No DVD player, Netflix, Skybox, Tivo none of these things even existed. We had a huge stack of Videos beside the TV which had to be rewinded before being played, no external hard drives to store movies on.

Thirdly I want to talk about mobile phones, which has made a huge if not one of the biggest changes in the past 10 years. I remember my first phone, ad it is probably the same phone every other 20 year old had as there first phone, it was a Nokia 3310, and my primary use for this phone was to play 'snake'. A simple black and white screen, no apps, music, camera, photos, videos, but it was all we knew, It was the iphone of the time. Then came flip phones with awful camera but nobody complained because they were the first phone and camera integrated which was a revolution at the time.

Next I want to talk about computer games, Now I will admit I wasn't the biggest fan of gaming, but was prone to playing Super Mario or Crash Bandicoot on the Playstation, and when I say playstation I mean the big old grey one, the first machine of there time. I had a little dance mat that plugged into the PS1 and would dance around to my hearts content. Now they have all these games and consoles I wouldn't know where to begin, live interaction with people from across the world on the xbox, and movement sensor games with the wii.

It's crazy to think that over the past 10 years which is not that long in reality the technological world has changed so drastically, and Its scary to thing where it will lead in the next 10 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment