16 May 2013

John Frieda Sheer Blonde Go Blonder Controlled Lightning Spray Review

I've been on a quest lately to lighten my hair and for years I've been using 'sun in' which does what it aims to do, but I wanted to try something new and after taking advantage of the 3 for 2 offer at boots I decided to pick up a bottle of the lightning spray from John Frieda.


On the packet it aimed to lighten and brighten blonde hair up to one and a half shades and it gradually lightens in 3-5 uses. It does state in bold writing to NOT USE ON NATURAL BROWN OR DARKER SHADES OF HAIR, INTENSIVELY BLEACHED HAIR (LIGHTENED 4-8 SHADES) OR PLATINUM OR WHITE SHADES OF BLONDE HAIR. 


As I wanted an all over lightening I washed my hair as usual and brushed though it to get rid of tangles and then sprayed my entire head with the spray rubbing my fingers all over my head to make sure it was evenly coated, then took a blow dryer and dried my hair as normal. I immediately noticed improvements to my hair in terms of lightness and colouring. and thought I had found my new holy grail product. 

I was wrong. 

I used this product maybe once every two weeks for about a month and a half and my hair started to become very knotty after washing and the more I brushed the more knots and tangles appeared, my hair started to come out in clumps on my hairbrush and I had to use two different leave in conditioners and detanglers to make my hair somewhat brush-able. On top of this my hair began to turn a very coppery/orange colour which I did not want. I felt this product had ruined my hair and my initial joy with this product soon turned into hatred for it. 

I spoke to my hairdresser who recommended I use a purple shampoo and conditioner to get rid of the orange tones to my hair and to deep condition it once a week with hair masks. I have since took her advice and the shampoo and conditioner I use is from a company called 'Provoke' and they work amazing and have rid my hair of the copper colour and instead brought out the lighter tones that I initially wanted without the bleach or peroxide that was in the John Frieda spray. 

There is no way I would use this spray again as it ruined my hair and my hair has never been the same since (4 months ago i stopped using it) my hair still tangles and goes really knotty after washing and I couldn't live without my Aussie leave in conditioner as it works wonders. 

So I hope I warned you about this product, and to us it at your own risk. I have since researched into the 'go blonder' collection by John Frieda and there have been many horror stories behind these products. I wanted to give my honest opinion about my experience with this product and I am sorry that I cannot be more positive as I had high hopes prior to using it. 
 
Thanks for reading,
Rachel Ward


1 comment:

  1. I researched a lot before I bought Go Blonder, and heard a lot of similar things. I used a purple toning shampoo from the beginning, only used the product once a week, and conditioned my hair for 5 minutes every day. I had no problems. Here were my results: http://runnerlulu.blogspot.com/2013/07/john-frieda-go-blonder.html

    ReplyDelete