For the cake:
- 225g unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp water
- 55g cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 250ml buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp red food colouring
- 280g plain flour
- 55g cornflour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 280g caster sugar
For the frosting:
- 250g cream cheese
- 40g unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Lets Get Baking:
1. Preheat oven to 190degreesC or gas mark 5 & grease and line two 9inch cake tins
2. place butter, water and cocoa powder in a small saucepan and heat gently without boiling until smooth, then remove from heat and leave to cool slightly
3. Beat together the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla extract and food colouring until frothy, then add the butter/cocoa powder mixture to this and combine together
4. In a separate bowl sift the flour, corn flour and baking powder together and add the caster sugar.
5. Combine the flour/caster sugar mixture to the mixture with the cocoa powder and beat together until smooth
6. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tins and bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Leave to cool on a wire rack
8. To make the frosting beat together all the ingredients until smooth, use about half the mixture to sandwich the cakes together and the remaining to cover over the top of the cake and around the sides.
Take care not to over beat the cream cheese frosting as it can go a little runny. If this happens, chill it in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Any questions please dont hesitate to ask via comments section ! I'm always happy to answer your queries.